Sports Inclusivity & Diversity Pledge
In February/March 2023, Sydney will host the very first WorldPride in the Southern hemisphere. We invite LGBTIQ+ communities and Prides from across the world to join us in delivering a variety of diverse, inclusive, accessible, and world-class festival events.
The annual Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Festival with its spectacular Parade, Fair Day, the Mardi Gras Party and other beloved events will be combined with stunning Opening and Closing Ceremonies, a First Nations Gathering Space, a Human Rights Conference and an unforgettable Pride March across the Sydney Harbour Bridge to form the full roster of key events for the Sydney World Pride 2023 Festival. We will also be developing a full festival program through exciting partnerships across Greater Sydney.
We’re committed to ensuring our festival is accessible to our community’s kaleidoscope of LGBTIQ+ identities, diverse backgrounds, and people of all abilities. We seek to support the participation of people from marginalised communities in our region and ensure they can fully and safely participate in our festival. Transport, communications, amenities and related services will be optimised for overall comfort and enjoyment of attendees.
As custodians of this truly global event, to best achieve our objectives of organising events of celebration, community, commemoration and protest, ultimately building transparency and trust within the organisation and our broader communities. We want to always behave in ways that are in alignment with our organisational values.
- We listen to a range of views
- We have the courage to challenge ourselves and our partners
- We are genuinely curious about the needs and desires of others
- We behave with respect and integrity
- We embrace diversity
As our partner we ask that you sign this pledge and provide us with the documents requested to show that your organisation is in alignment to the values, goals and vision of Sydney WorldPride as we look forward to a diverse, inclusive, accessible, and world-class festival.
Your pledge and associated documents create a foundation of confidence that your events and activities meet Sydney WorldPride and Community expectations as we promote our festival events locally, nationally and internationally.
By signing this Pledge, you confirm that your organisation has the following policies regarding your events, participants and attendees and you will provide these to Sydney WorldPride:
- A policy of inclusion and diversity for LGBTIQ+ people, including sex, sexuality and gender inclusive participant sign up forms, where necessary
- A policy of zero tolerance of homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, racism and ableism within your organisation and at your events.
- A policy of accessibility, demonstrating ways you include people of varying abilities and people living with a disability
- A policy which outlines a non-gendered dress code, and allows individuals to dress in a uniform that affirms their gender
- A policy which outlines the use of facilities which are clearly non-gendered, allowing individuals to use facilities according to their affirmed gender.
- A policy for disciplinary/grievance related governance within the organisation.
Your policies should be clearly shown on your website, or otherwise clearly articulated to your participants.