Parade Accessible Viewing Area
2023 Mardi Gras Parade Accessible Viewing Area
Date: Saturday 25 February 2023
Location: Flinders Street between Patterson Lane and Linden Lane
Entry Gate: via Linden Lane
Entry Available: 6:00pm
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade is a celebration of love, equality, inclusion and pride – most of all, it’s for everyone. This year we will have a free accessible Parade viewing area with the following features:
- Flat accessible site.
- Unobstructed view of the Parade. Please note that there will be a fence separating the viewing area and the Parade route. This fence will be 400-500 millimetres in height.
- Accessible portable toilets.
- A “quiet room” – a dedicated enclosed marquee where you can go if you are feeling overwhelmed or need to take a break. Assisted by Autism Spectrum Australia / Aspect.
- Dedicated event volunteers and security.
- Charging point for electric wheelchairs.
- Alcohol and glass free zone.
Please note, this area does not have any shelter, we encourage our accessible viewing audience to:
- Bring or wear appropriate weather gear and clothing.
- Bring a lightweight, portable fold-up chair (if required).
- Bring food or drinks (if required).
Please be aware that the surrounding areas experience very high levels of pedestrian traffic. Additionally, the nature of the Parade means that there will be loud audio and lighting systems coming from the floats.
The accessible viewing area is locatedon Flinders Street between Patterson Lane and Linden Lane. Entry via Linden Lane. The Parade Route Map will be available in late 2022.
To help plan your journey to the Parade, information on public transport services or the Mardi Gras accessible transfer services is available here.
How to Register
As the accessible viewing area has limited spaces available, we encourage you to register early to secure your Parade viewing experience. This process will begin in November 2022.
- Complete the online registration form (available from November 2022, sign up to the Mardi Gras Newsletter to keep up to date with when this is available).
- You will receive an automated email confirming your online registration has been submitted.
- We will contact you within 5 business days to confirm registration and discuss travelling to and from the Parade.
- To gain entry into the Parade Accessible Viewing Area, all registered access guests will be required to wear event accreditation. These are wristbands which will be postage delivered to you between 17 February and 23 February 2023.